Friday 29 January 2010

Wirral's Year of Food

I read with some excitement and no small volume of saliva that Wirral's 'food sector' will be celebrating the successes and achievements of Wirral’s food and tourism industry in 2010 with a 'Year of Food.' http://www.wirral.gov.uk/News/news_0001270.html

It got me thinking - what has Wirral brought the world in terms of tasty comestibles? I don't mean what do we grow (parsnips are big, kale is curly, blackberries sit in the woods, and I've heard rumours of enormous under-cover rhubarb fields around Meols) - I mean what do we make?

There's a clue in the picture. Cadbury Typhoo. Come to Wirral! - home of the cheap-skate afternoon tea. We're not going to rise to a bun, we can't even squeeze out an eclair but we might rustle up a digestive if you don't mess up the antimacassar. I think there's a sausage factory in Birkenhead, so on special occasions you might a sausages on stick. It's afternoon tea with an elderly aunt - something I'm sure you'll agree we should all be celebrating.

It certainly looks like somebody in this picture enjoys their food - and some of it paid by the tax-payer I'll wager! But then, that's what he's paid for.





1 comment:

  1. I am both astonished and horrified at the accompanying photograph.

    That tea is clearly stewed.

    ReplyDelete